Sunday, May 17, 2009

Photography: Hobby vs Mall Security

taken from my note at Facebook...
I'll put on the pictures later...

To make it short, Kelapa Gading held an event called Jakarta Food & Fashion Festival. In an event that big, Photographers lurking around the area is inevitable. From media photographers to hobby photographers like me. Of course, official photographers wore an ID Tag to identify them as a committee of the event.

But to my observation, there's so few of the DSLR-using people who wore ID Tag!
I counted about 12 out of 15 people who brought DSLR along with them didn't wear any ID Tag or dressed with a proper committee shirt.

Among these 12, 3 or so are PRO Photographers (fellow photographers can't mistake the EOS1, big lens, and that "aura" of Pro ^^).

Then about 7 of them appears to be in their late teens or twenties, implying that they're either college students, amateur photographers, or young photography hobbyists - including me (3 of them even brought tripods).

And the rest are some rich people who bought DSLR cameras only to look cool and use the DSLR as if it was a pocket camera. What a waste. Fuck off and die.

Anyway, as I stroll around took some pictures (for my own pleasure and entertainment), two mall securities with their handy-talky cornered me and asking for some credentials. WTF? My arguments were:
1) DSLR are now available for those who want to have it and have the money - not only for those with occupational needs. That means, nowadays people with DSLR doesn't mean that they're occupational photographers. Hobbyist like me who took pictures for myself and wouldn't post a picture to mass media can have a DSLR if they had the resources and decide to buy one. Even those rich, photography-blind, smartasses can have one!
2) You apprehend people with DSLR, but you let loose people with pocket cameras. Okay, so next time if I decide to be an event-spy or unofficial media agent who wants to take pictures of the event without any credentials, I'll just bring my pocket camera. because you let that happen!
3) Due to my argument #2, I asked them back. If photography is forbidden, WHY CAN'T YOU ENFORCE IT? See? you let loose 12 people with DSLR without ID Tags and hundreds of people with pocket camera or phone camera to take pictures as they like! And you do something only to one of them (me ^^). You call that enforcement? I can conclude that you SUCK at your job.
4) Again, If photography is forbidden, you did nothing to inform the people who brought their DSLR unauthorized. Come on, DSLR are BIG! You can't mistake a DSLR bag with a pocket camera bag, can you?

After defending my arguments for about 10 minutes, they let me go easily. "Alright, you may go around." Without telling me not to take pictures anymore or so. See? You really SUCK at doing your job, you know?
I took several more pictures then head home. Along the way home, I managed to see the "No cameras allowed" sign which is hanged on top of the ceiling. and that's the only sign. That's it? That's the only effort to forbid photography on the area? You can't be serious. Who would bother seeing the sign if there are a lot of kiosk and stands on the area?

So, Mister Ad* and Ri**i, you took wrong Hobbyist Photographer to apprehend :D
I suspect you intend to gain some more money by preying on lone photographers like me, yes?
my dear, that's called an extortion.

bad luck, chummy. I wouldn't give my precious money or - most importantly - my PRIDE to be taken down by people like you ^^
if you asked for my money like a beggar, maybe I'll consider giving you some... you really SUCK at doing your job, you know that? :D

and to the management of " LP ", please change the sign with a better one, or just put them down anyway. It's useless. You can't restrain or limit the people's spirit of photography.

Onward Amateur Photographers!

1 comment:

  1. well that's sort of thing happen >_,

    my camera is also deslr and sometimes they forbid me but allowed the pocket camera, i just wth!!????

    that's just the same u know!!!???

    ReplyDelete